The Kathmandu Metropolitan City has set standards for building construction in its area by assessing the risk of earthquakes and disasters in view of increasing urbanization and population density. The KMC has revised the old criteria and issued the new building construction criteria on July 10.
Such is the construction of Kathmandu Metropolitan City Building Criteria, 2075 published by the Kathmandu Metropolitan City in the local gazette on July 10.
1) Basement related arrangements
In the case of map pass with basement, only one floor underground basement will be available in the old urban area and in the case of other areas, up to two storey underground basement will be constructed. If a two-storey basement is to be constructed, the set back towards the treaty should be at least 3.0 meters (three meters).
2) Distance to be left in residential building construction
The distance to be left for all types of construction of residential nature will be as follows.
A) If you have to keep windows, doors, wardali etc., you have to leave at least 1.5 m setback. Such setback can be taken as average in case of abandoned land. But on average, leaving such a setback, it will not be possible to build at least less than 1 m.
(B) When constructing as per clause (a), if there is a setback of less than 1 meter in any place, windows may be placed only in the place of 1.5 meters or more.
(C) In the old urban area, the roof of the highest floor can be placed only up to 0.60 m. However, a road with a width of up to 1.2 meters can be covered with a maximum of 0.30 meters.
(D) In areas other than the old urban areas, shutters for commercial purposes may be placed on the ground floor while constructing buildings on the plots connected to roads with a width of 6 m or more. If there is a residential purpose above the ground floor, it will be considered as a mixed use building. Residential building standards will apply for the building. But the setback towards the shutter should be at least 2 meters. Buildings of this nature are like a commercial building for a map pass fee
4. Provisions related to approval
No building construction permit or construction completion certificate has been issued on the basis of Sandhiyar’s approval letter for the purpose of fulfilling the criteria. However, in order to meet the criteria, the building owner will purchase additional land of the attached lot and include it in the land where the same building is located. In this way, after obtaining the building permit or building construction completion certificate, the lump sum or blank lot can be sold in a lump sum or by selling the lot in such a way that the approved criteria is maintained after the on-site inspection by the technician of Kathmandu Metropolitan City. In case of allotment or sale without maintaining the approved criteria, the license or certificate of completion of the building will be revoked by the decision of the official one level above the person approving the map.
5. Local road jurisdiction
(A) Item no. (C) The minimum setback of all roads except 1.5 meters shall be maintained.
(B) While constructing the compound wall, construction permission will be given in such a way that the ROW of the road is not violated.
(C) Roads shorter than 50 meters (fifty meters) (CUL ‐ DE ‐ Sac and dead end) should have a ROW of 3 meters (three meters) and leave a setback of at least 1.0 meters from the side.
(D) Roads longer than 50.0 meters (fifty meters) will have to maintain ROW of 0.4 meters (four meters) and leave 1.5 meters setback.
(E) In the old urban area, the road will be maintained at least 1.2 meters while constructing new structure on the existing 1.2 meter small street roads.
6. For all types of buildings higher than 17 meters in areas other than old urban areas, the minimum setback should be 5 meters from the ground floor.
7. The land on which the building permit is obtained for parking purposes on the ground floor should be at least 3 meters long.
8. Residential area
(A) Commercial sub-sector: Commercial sub-sector is a residential area which has a width of 14 meters or more and footpaths mentioned in the major retail and wholesale trade criteria.10. Apart from the provisions mentioned in this standard, other arrangements will be made in the Kathmandu Valley’s metropolitan, municipal and urban VDCs in accordance with the construction standards 2064, settlement development, urban planning and basic construction standards 2072 related to building construction.
11. In the case of buildings constructed in accordance with the then criteria for completion or submission for further approval, the construction work will be checked as per the building code before approval.
12. If more construction work is done than specified by this standard, the structure will be demolished as ordered by the Kathmandu Metropolitan City and no further construction work will be done.
13. In order to develop a system for obtaining permission to construct buildings in a simple and easy way for the service recipients, the process of passing the map in two phases, temporary and permanent, will be given permanent permission in one phase. The construction of the building will be effectively monitored to check whether the building has been constructed as per the approved map.
14. Certificate of completion of construction of the building will be made mandatory to be affiliated with the service.
15. The Kathmandu Metropolitan City Executive will issue a working procedure for the passage, construction completion and archiving of the maps of the constructed buildings, buildings to be added to the floors and new buildings and structures to be constructed.
16. If the building constructed before the issuance of this criterion is submitted in accordance with this criterion for map pass or construction completion certificate, other arrangements other than FAR will be in accordance with the then criteria.
17. While issuing the construction completion certificate, the building completed in accordance with the standards and building code will be issued construction completion certificate in accordance with the standards and building code, and the building completion certificate will be issued in accordance with the building but not in accordance with the building code.
18. If there is a need to further clarify the issues mentioned in this criterion or to remove any kind of obstruction, remove the obstruction by making a decision from the meeting of the Municipal Executive.